English 306: Introduction to Professional Writing
Associate Professor, Department of English, Purdue University
309-259-0328 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org ~ @cbdilger
Heavilon Hall 303B, TWR 1–3pm & by appt
- 12/09: Here's an update for our last week of classes.
- 12/06: I have finally published the final exam.
- 11/24: An exercise on claims, reasons, evidence. (Moved to our scratchpad.)
- 11/18: I've posted the memo revision assignment.
- 11/09: Here's my advice about backing up your computer(s).
- 10/30: I've updated the PW at work assignment to fix a few errors and add the proposal revision.
- 10/19: Clay Spinuzzi has shared some slide decks for Topsight. Might be a good way to review the text.
- 10/18: Here are the results of the midterm survey.
- 10/15: I posted the professional writing at work project assignment.
- 10/13: Information about the midterm examination is ready.
- 10/08: Group work for today.
- 10/06: I've posted the midterm survey. Please complete it before Friday 10/09.
- 10/01: Happy October! Since I’m not done sending out feedback and grades on memos 3 and 4, and since I don’t have my “turn it in” box set up yet either, let’s push back the due date for memo #5 to Tue Oct 6.
- 9/27: Please consider participating in this empathy cards workshop this coming weekend 10/3. (But don't register unless you're sure you're gonna go; space is limited.)
- 9/15: I posted an Activity system diagram you can fill in with MS Word, and an example activity system a former student created for one of the districts in The Hunger Games.
- 9/13: Sample memoranda to help you with that assignment.
- 9/10: Here's a scratchpad for in-class activities we use to illustrate or apply concepts from the readings.
- 9/09: I’ve gotten some good questions about the memos and I want to address them in feedback to you all — and ensure you have time to take that into account. So, know that if you want to turn in #2 next Mon or Tue, that’ll be fine. More in class tomorrow.
- 9/03: Group work on Kleon for today.
- 9/03: Here's a genre handout (PDF) which may help you read Bawarshi.
- 9/01: Join Professional Writing club! Callout is 6:00pm, Sept 9, Heavilon Hall 220.
- 9/01: Write for the Exponent! Callout is 7:00pm, Sept 9, Electrical Engineering 129.
- 8/27: I moved the course goals and texts to a separate page. (They're on the syllabus too.)
- 8/27: With method #8 for participation in mind, check out the Dawn or Doom writing contest.
- 8/25: I posted the participation assignment (PDF). Please review it.
- 8/25: I corrected some due dates on the memoranda assignment (PDF) and posted a revision.
Handouts & other resources
See Blackboard for a library of course texts which cannot be distributed here because of copyright concerns.